Miter Attachment for Crosscut Sled

Image of the crosscut sled with the miter attachment in place.

The first, and maybe only, accessory I plan for my new crosscut sled is the miter attachment. I finished building it today; it looks good and works great.

This project has been sitting on the shelf for a long time and I’m happy to have gotten back to it and finished it. It’s especially nice to get such good results.

Now I’m moving on to assembling (and learning to use) my box joint jig.

Table Saw Cross Cut Sled

Crosscut Sled

For years—okay, a decade (maybe more)—I’ve wanted a cross cut sled for my table saw. It sounds easy; why not just stick some wood together and get on with it? Right? Well, once you start thinking about it, it’s a complicated build.

A piece of plywood (3/4″ for rigidity) to make the base sled. Some designs use 2×6’s and 2×4’s for the front and rear fences. How do I square the rear fence to the sled? It goes on and on! How does one decide what design and what materials to use to build the thing? There are great designs that don’t fit my needs and I didn’t feel confident enough to modify the designs for myself.

Then I came across a design for a Cross Cut / Miter Sled by Nick Ferry on YouTube. Not only does he use materials I find quite satisfactory (Baltic birch plywood and Kreg hardware) but he uses a squaring method (5-cut method by William Ng; Ng is a genius…watch all his YouTube stuff) to square up the rear fence.

So, I found myself at the point where I had a design and construction method I liked and no other excuses not to build the thing. Well, in that situation I had to build it, of course. The pictures in the album above show the build without the miter attachment accessory. I’ll build the miter attachment accessory next.

Anyway, once I completed the cross cut sled, I was able to tune it to < 0.002″ over 22″ accuracy. That’s way more accurate than I was expecting and I’m very happy with the results. Also, as an added bonus, Wendy (my wife), made the caution decals for the sled. They take the project to a whole new level of professional quality.

Ammo Can Storage Rack Completed

Ammo Can Rack Base & Install

I got a little time off at the end of this year and decided to finish the Ammo Can Storage Rack installation and clean/organize my Man Cave a little better. The clutter in there was driving me crazy!

This post completes the two previous posts (Ammo Can Storage Rack and Ammo Can Storage Rack Update) on the Ammo Can Storage Rack project. The process has taken almost two years to complete. A lot of my projects get shelved for more important things. There process is fine with me as long as I get back to them and finish them at some point.

One thing that kept me from getting back to this project was the amount of time it would take to finish it and that the final steps couldn’t be done in small increments. It wasn’t possible for me to be sawing up a project and applying string and top coat in my small workshop at the same time on different projects.

But, I’m real happy with the results and you can see them in the pictures above. All-in-all it took me about four days to complete this final phase of the project, relabel all the ammo cans and tidy up the Man Cave. Now I plan to install more shelving above the Ammo Can Racks for more books (I’m just about out of shelf space again).

css.php