In the picture above you can see a prototype assembly of the parts I purchased. This new design offsets the shafts of the motor and rotator to avoid having to get perfect alignment and reduce binding. Initially I considered using a universal joint but they cost more than all the other parts put together and it’d be difficult to pair up the different diameter shafts.
Instead, to transfer the power from the motor shaft to the rotator shaft, I used gears with matched pitch, etc. The main rotator shaft is 1/2″ diameter and the motor shaft is 5/16″. The rotator shaft is held in place with mounted low-profile bearings. Everything is adjustable for fine tuning after assembly.
The motor is a geared, “high torque” motor (higher torque than the microwave motor I used in version 1). This motor is much better suited for this purpose but presents a few more design considerations. In trying to keep the design as small as possible I’ll have to fabricate a cowling for the motor.
The cowling will keep the electrical parts safely away from the user while allowing airflow to cool the motor. I’ll also mount the switch in the cowling so it’s accessible and easy to use. I’ll need to cover the gears to keep the user from getting fingers or clothing caught in them, too.
All-in-all it looks pretty good and I’m sure it’s functional at this point. Hopefully I’ll be pleased with the final results once I get the cowling, etc. completed.
I got a little time off at the end of this year and decided to finish the Ammo Can Storage Rack installation and clean/organize my Man Cave a little better. The clutter in there was driving me crazy!
This post completes the two previous posts (Ammo Can Storage Rack and Ammo Can Storage Rack Update) on the Ammo Can Storage Rack project. The process has taken almost two years to complete. A lot of my projects get shelved for more important things. There process is fine with me as long as I get back to them and finish them at some point.
One thing that kept me from getting back to this project was the amount of time it would take to finish it and that the final steps couldn’t be done in small increments. It wasn’t possible for me to be sawing up a project and applying string and top coat in my small workshop at the same time on different projects.
But, I’m real happy with the results and you can see them in the pictures above. All-in-all it took me about four days to complete this final phase of the project, relabel all the ammo cans and tidy up the Man Cave. Now I plan to install more shelving above the Ammo Can Racks for more books (I’m just about out of shelf space again).
When I look at this blog it seems like nothing is going on. This is odd because their are so many things happening right now. The major construction on the Ammo Can Storage Racks v2 is complete (I’ll have pictures below). I have been working diligently on the development of the Hot Wire Foam Cutter project.
All of the electrics are done; some fine tweaks will occur but it’s 99%. I have designed the Workbench for the workshop; construction is to begin soon. Getting the Workbench completed with all of its drawers is exciting because it will allow me to organize a lot of my tools, etc. and clear space to assemble my 4′ x 8′ 4-axis CNC Router.
The CNC Router is going to be great fun and, I’m sure, quite a bit of trial and error. In order to use the CNC Router I’ve been doing a lot of training on Autodesk Fusion 360 software in order to design projects, then have the CNC Router cut the parts. All of the projects I have going right now are fairly interdependent.
Even the Hot Wire Foam Cutter will help me cut foam inserts for the drawers in the Workbench to organize tools and hold them in place. It seems like a whirlwind of projects going on. During all this activity I need to continue sealing and finishing the Cabin Cabinets so I can install the in late May or June.
It’s almost overwhelming but it’s all a lot of fun. Well, for now, here are the 99% completed Ammo Can Storage Racks v2.
My DAK monogram is cut into the sides.
Two racks ready for bolt-up.
I’m real happy with the quality this fabricator produces. For indoor finish work I think he’ll be my go-to fabricator.
I’ve needed a way to store ammo cans. They pile up, they don’t stack very neatly. You’d think the military design would accommodate stacking and storage a little better. Furthermore, it’d be reasonable to expect there would be a rack on the market to hold them. Nope, and nope.
So, I had to design my own (here are the drawings and Sketchup 3D model). I don’t think wood will be strong and compact so I need to go with metal. I’m not a welder so I’m going to have to have the rack fabricated. I’ve got a good welder so that’s not such a big deal. Hopefully he can make sense of my design and this project goes well.
Once my welder does his part I’m going to use UHMW tape to make durable, slick sliding rails for the cans. Also, I’ll mount the rack into the Man Cave on finished wood rails to distribute the weight and I’ll trim it out with finished wood (especially on top) that will match my Man Cave Shelving. Above that, eventually, I’ll take shelving up the wall to the ceiling.
The rack holds (20) 50-cal cans so there’ll be quite a bit of storage in them. I’m confident it’ll look pretty cool and fit into the Man Cave well.